Setting stricter limits than some common industry standards, GM’s dexos1™ specification for gasoline engines demands fuel economy gains without sacrificing performance and durability.
In order to help ensure our customers’ success under the new generation dexos1™, Wolf has closely monitored the new specification’s development.
What’s dexos1, and why a new generation?
Dexos1™ Gen 2 is a recent specification created by GM. By developing their own specification, they are effectively harmonising several global markets in which they participate. Dexos1 is a way of ensuring that regardless of where GM vehicles are serviced, those vehicles receive the same high-quality oils to maximise performance.
So what’s new in its second generation, named dexos1™ Gen 2? First, the context: modern fuel efficient gasoline direct injection (GDI) and turbocharged GDI (TGDI) engines run hotter, increasing stress for lubricants. These engines require higher-performance lubricants to reach peak efficiency. Dexos1™ Gen 2 will certify this peak performance, which is higher than that of many lubricants currently on the market.
Finally, several new engine tests more than justified the issuing of a new generation of dexos1:
- Stochastic pre-ignition (LSPI) test: Setting stricter limits, the new dexos1 test ensures lubricants can mitigate Low Speed Pre Ignition (LSPI), a problem encountered in TGDI engines.
- New European Drive Cycle (NEDC) fuel economy test: Measures fuel economy and ensures the desired fuel economy benefits across GM vehicles
- Turbocharger deposit test: Ensures a lubricant will not succumb to deposit buildup under the intense temperatures inherent to turbochargers.
- GM Oxidation (GMOD) test: A new test to evaluate a lubricant’s resistance to oxidation, a condition that can compromise fuel economy and protective benefits.
- Additional tests ensure no compromise for durability and cleanliness for dexos1 certified oils.
Here’s a graphic representation of the main improvements in dexos1™ Gen 2:
Wolf releases a product range specifically for dexos1™ Gen 2
The complete product range we are releasing has been specifically designed to meet the latest requirements of dexos 1™ Gen 2. They are full synthetic lubricants based on carefully selected very high-quality base oils and can also be used for most American and Asian passenger cars, SUVs and light vans.
The range includes:
- WOLF ECOTECH 0W20 D1 FE
- WOLF VITALTECH 5W20 D1
- WOLF VITALTECH 5W30 D1
- Their ultra-low viscosity and enhanced frictional properties enables considerable fuel economy
- They provide outstanding wear and sludge protection, even under the most severe driving conditions
- Ensures mitigation of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI), a problem encountered in TGDI engines.
For example, the WOLF ECOTECH 0w20 D1 FE meets and exceeds the standards set in GM dexos1:2015:
These lubricants also meet the following specifications:
- FORD WSS-M2C945-A / 946-A /947-A
- CHRYSLER MS 6395
- API SN/RC
- ILSAC GF-5
For more details, visit the product pages: